As a pastor concerned about the problems facing his people, St. Augustine frequently preached and wrote on what the Bible says about poverty, hunger, war, human rights and human dignity. His ancient wisdom can still guide Christians today.
Augustinian friars, concerned about the problems of the people with whom and for whom they minister, are, like St. Augustine, called to promote a more peaceful and more just society, and to stand up for human dignity and rights according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Augustinians Support Seven International Days
The international Augustinian Order, as an accredited Non-Governmental Organization (N.G.O.) at the United Nations, seeks to be an instrument for implementing values of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as reflected in the social teachings of the Catholic Church, in the international forum.
The Order works to defend human rights, promote education and literacy, as well as economic and social development, and to foster a Culture of Peace.
The Augustinians around the world have selected seven International U. N. Days for special observance. These days give particular emphasis to Christian values. They are:
- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (March 21)
- International Day of Families (May 15)
- World Environment Day (June 5)
- International Day of Peace (September 21)
- World Food Day (October 16)
- United Nations Day (October 24)
- Human Rights Day (December 10)
Promoting Justice & Peace at School
Resources for Educators and Students
Here is a small collection of Justice and Peace resources which we hope will be particularly helpful to teachers and students in schools. We especially recommend that schools consider association with the Culture of Peace Program through participation in the Associated School Project Network.
- Associated School Project Network
- Building Blocks of Peace
- Caritas Internationalis - Peacebuilding in the 21st Century
- Catholic Charities Resources for Catholic Social Teaching
- Center on Conscience & War
- Feeding Minds, Fighting Hunger
- Interconnections 21
- Justice Walking for Youth
- USCCB Ideas for Religious Educators
- USCCB Parishes & Schools Resources
- UN Cyber School Bus
- UNESCO Associated Schools Project