The international Augustinian Secretariate for Justice and Peace has joined with other religious organizations from around the world to promote the International Day of Peace each September 21.
Right of Peoples to Peace: 2014 theme
This year’s theme is “The Right of Peoples to Peace.”
The year 2014 marks the 30th anniversary of the United Nations General Assembly’s adoption of the “Declaration on the Right of Peoples to Peace."
The Declaration, recognizing the importance of a peaceful environment for the well-being of all people, includes four points:
All peoples have a sacred right to peace.
Preserving this right to peace is a responsibility of every country.
Policies of all nations should promote the elimination of war and the settlement of international disputes through peaceful means.
An appeal is made to all countries and international organizations to promote the right of all to live in peace.
Prayer Power for Peace
A group of persons representing a wide variety of Christian and other religious and spiritual traditions is promoting an International Day of Peace Vigil "in every house of worship and place of spiritual practice, by all religious and spiritually based groups and individuals and by all men and women who seek peace in the world."
This global 24-hour vigil is meant to demonstrate the power of prayer and other spiritual observances in promoting peace and preventing violent conflict.
Promoting the Human and Christian Values of Peace
“...We need to unite as a human family to deliver the right to peace by encouraging fighters to lay down their arms... I urge every peace-loving person to engage with their friends and neighbors, their community organizations and governments. Together, let us demand the right of peoples to peace,” UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said in his 100-day countdown message.
The Augustinian Commission for Justice and Peace encourages each Augustinian community and ministry to pray for peace, and to plan prayer, education or action for peace in observance of the International Day of Peace. The Commission invites all individuals and groups who identify with Augustinian spirituality to do likewise.
As Jesus taught, “Blessed are the peacemakers; they shall be called the sons and daughters of God.” -- Matthew 5: 9
International Day of Peace Prayer
- International Day of Peace Vigil: Demonstrate the power of prayer - Join this 24-hour spiritual observance for peace
- The Right of Peoples to Peace: Theme of International Day of Peace 2014
- 100 Day Countdown to International Day of Peace: Message from U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- Culture of Peace: What is it, how to make it a reality
- UNESCO Associated Schools Project Network: 9,900 schools in 180 countries promoting understanding and peace
- Peace Education: Resources from CyberSchoolBus for teachers and learners
- International Day of Peace on Facebook: Photos and comments about Peace Day from People around the globe
- Thanks UN Peacekeepers: Sign the card and your brief message of gratitude