TO ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE ORDER
On Tuesday, 26 April 2016, the Feast of Our Mother of Good Counsel, it has been announced that the Holy Father Francis has named our brother, Manuel Herrero Fernandez, of the Province of Spain, Bishop of the Diocese of Palencia, Spain.
Mons. Herrero was born on 17 January 1947 in Serdio, Cantabria, Spain. He entered the Order as a novice on 26 September 1963, in the novitiate of the province situated at the Monasterio de Santa Maria de la Vid, La Vid, Spain. He made his first profession of vows on 27 September 1964.
He completed his studies of philosophy and theology in the Colegio de los Agustinos Filipinos, Valladolid, and in the Seminario Mayor “Tagaste,” Los Negrales. He professed solemn vows on 25 January 1968 and was ordained a priest on 12 July 1970.
He was a member of the following Augustinian communities:
- Colegio-Seminario San Agustín, Palencia (1970-1971), as professor and inspector;
- Colegio Nuestra Señora del Buen Consejo, Madrid (1971-1974), as spiritual director and professor;
- Parroquia de Santa Ana y la Esperanza, Moratalaz, Madrid (1974-1984), as prior and pastor;
- Colegio San Agustín de Santander (1984-1995), as pastor of the Parroquia San Agustín;
- Residencia Provincial, de Madrid (1995-1999), as provincial counselor and parochial vicar of the parish of Parroquia San Manuel y San Benito.
- Colegio San Agustín de Santander From 1999, he was again part of the community of the Colegio San Agustín de Santander, where he was pastor of the parish until 2014.
- Parroquia Nuestra Señora del Carmen: Since September 2014 he has been pastor of the Parroquia Nuestra Señora del Carmen, Barrio Pesquero, Santander.
Licensed in Pastoral Theology, he was professor in the diocesan seminary of Corban, Santander, and he also taught in the Estudio Teológico Tagaste (Los Negrales) and in the Centro Teológico San Agustín (Los Negrales-S. Lorenzo de El Escorial).
He has held various responsibilities in the Diocese of Santander, where he was the diocesan delegate forAcción Caritativa y Social (Cáritas), and Vicar General and Pastoral Vicar since 1999. He was the diocesan administrator of Santander from 2014 to 2015.
He was a member of the Episcopal Council of the diocese and a member of the Presbyteral Council and the Pastoral Council, and a member of the College of Consultors and the Council of Economic Activities of the Diocese of Santander.
On behalf of the entire Order, I wish to extend our sincere congratulations to Bishop-elect Manuel Herrero Fernandez, as he is called to serve the Church in the episcopate, and let us all together offer to him our fraternal support and remembrance in our prayers for him as he undertakes this new ministry.
Father Alejandro Moral Antón, O.S.A.
Prior General of the Augustinian Order
Rome, Cura Generalizia Agostiniana
26 April 2016
Prot. n. 100/16