Rev. C. Edward Stengel, O.S.A. (1895 - 1978)
Rev. C. Edward Stengel, O.S.A. entered eternal life on May 31, 1978.
Charles Edward Stengel was born on December 10, 1895 in Reading, Pennsylvania to Henry and Catherine (Ernst) Stengel. He was baptized on December 22, 1895 at St. Paul Catholic Church, Reading.
For his education, Edward attended St. Paul Parochial School in Reading, Reading public schools, and Villanova Prep, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate in 1920, and professed vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 28, 1921.
In 1924, Edward earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova. After pursuing theological studies, he was ordained a priest on August 29, 1926. He earned an M.A. in Education from Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., in 1927.
Father Stengel was first assigned to St. Peter Catholic Parish, Aurora, Illinois, then to St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois. When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was formed in 1941, he was affiliated to that Province. He was elected to the first Council of the new Province and was assigned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois.
Three years later, Father Stengel was transferred to St. Monica Seminary, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, where he was Prior (local superior) and Procurator (business manager), while continuing to serve on the Province Council. In 1953, he was named Prior at St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan.
In 1962, Father Stengel was transferred to St. Rita Monastery, Chicago, where he was Procurator. He retired at St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, in 1971. He died of respiratory failure on May 31, 1978.
Father Stengel was originally buried at St. Mary's Hall Cemetery, Villanova. When that cemetery was relocated in 1980 to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, his body was moved there.