Rev. Charles J. Melchior, O.S.A. (1889-1957)
Rev. Charles J. Melchior, O.S.A. entered eternal life on January 16, 1957.
Charles Joseph Melchior was born on March 23, 1989 in Barto, Pennsylvania to George W. and Rosa (Clemmer) Melchior. He was baptized on March 28, 1889 at Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, Bally, Pennsylvania. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on June 11, 1902 at the same church.
After completing his secondary education at Villanova Prep, Villanova, Pennsylvania, Charles attended Pottstown Business College, Pottstown, Pennsylvania. He then worked for a short time at Orino Silk Mills, where his father was Manager.
Charles was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on June 22, 1911. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 22, 1912 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 25, 1915. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, in 1915. He then pursued theological studies at Villanova. On May 16, 1918, he was ordained a priest.
Father Melchior served as Assistant Pastor of St. Thomas of Villanova Parish, Villanova, from 1918 to 1920. He was appointed in 1920 as Assistant Director of Novices and Professed at St. Mary's Hall, the Augustinian house of formation at Villanova. The following year, 1921, he was named Procurator (Business Manager) of St. Mary's Hall. When the Augustinian Novitiate relocated from Villanova to New Hamburg, New York, he was named the first Director of Novices at the new site.
In 1932, Father Melchior was named Procurator of Villanova College. He was transferred in 1938 to St. Augustine Parish, Detroit, Michigan, where he was Assistant Pastor and Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community. He became Pastor of St. Augustine Parish in 1939.
When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was established in 1941, Father Melchior became affiliated to that Province. He was elected Prior Provincial (regional superior) in 1944 and was reelected to a second three-year term in 1947.
Upon conclusion of his second term as Prior Provincial in 1950, Father Melchior resumed his former duties as Pastor of St. Augustine Parish and Prior of the Augustinian community there. He held those positions until the time his death from a heart attack on January 16, 1957.
Father Melchior is buried in the Augustinian cemetery at Villanova.