Rev. Clement C. McHale, O.S.A. (1901-1973)
Rev. Clement C. McHale, O.S.A. entered eternal life on March 4, 1973.
Clement Charles McHale was born on April 12, 1901 in Atlantic City, New Jersey to Patrick and Judith (Kelly) McHale. He was baptized on April 28, 1901 at St. Nicholas Catholic Church, Atlantic City. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on November 17, 1912 at St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, Pittston, Pennsylvania.
After receiving his elementary education at St. Mary Parochial School, Pittston, Clement studied for one year at Pittston High School. He then completed his secondary education at the Augustinian Preparatory Scholasticate, Villanova, Pennsylvania.
On June 27, 1919, Clement was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 29, 1920 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 29, 1923. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, in 1923. Clement then pursued theological studies at Villanova. He was ordained a priest on August 29, 1926. He did additional studies at a number of schools: Catholic University of America, Washington, D. C.; University of Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma; and University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
From 1927 to 1935, Father McHale taught at Cascia Hall School, Tulsa. He then taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1935 to 1937. After this, he served as Assistant Pastor of St. Rita Parish, Chicago, from 1937 to 1942.
Father McHale became a Chaplain in the United States Navy in 1942. He served during World War II in the Pacific theater, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
Father McHale was Pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul Parish, Rockford, Illinois, from 1945 to 1947. He then served from 1947 to 1950 as Assistant Pastor of St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan.
In 1950, Father McHale was elected the third Prior Provincial of the Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest). He was elected to a second term of office in 1953. During his terms as Provincial, the province opened Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, in 1951 and Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, in 1952. The province also co-sponsored the opening of the Catholic mission in Nagasaki, Japan with the Province of Villanova in 1952.
Upon completion of his second term as Prior Provincial in 1956, Father McHale was assigned to St. Rita Parish, Chicago. He served as Prior until 1958 and then as Pastor until 1968. After this, he was assigned to St. Augustine Parish, Detroit, in 1968, serving as Prior of the Augustinian community there until the time of his death on March 4, 1973.
Father McHale is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.