Rev. Cornelius R. Lehane, O.S.A. (1912-1995)
Rev. Cornelius R. Lehane, O.S.A. entered eternal life on March 11, 1995.
Cornelius Raymond Lehane was born on September 28, 1912 in Lawrence, Massachusetts to Jeremiah and Helen (Donovan) Lehane. He had five brothers and four sisters. He was baptized on October 13, 1912 at St. Mary Catholic Parish, Lawrence.
Cornelius was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 11, 1930. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 12, 1931 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 12, 1934.
He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1935. Cornelius did theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., and was ordained a priest on June 7, 1938 in Washington.
Father Lehane's first assignment was to St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1939 to 1946. He taught at St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, from 1946 to 1950. He then returned to St. Rita High School and taught there until 1959. After this, he ministered from 1959 until 1962 to the students at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago.
From 1962 to 1965, Father Lehane served in the foreign missions. He was Mission Superior to the Augustinians ministering in Japan in 1962 and 1963. When the Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel accepted responsibility for its mission apostolate in Peru in 1963, Father Lehane was sent there as Mission Superior, serving in that office until 1965.
He returned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1965. He became Associate Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish in 1967 and served there until 1971.
Father Lehane was the Augustinian Province Personnel Director from 1971 to 1979. He served as Director of Internal Ministry from 1979 to 1985, when he was elected Chairperson of the Senior Status Commission. He resided at St. Rita Monastery, Chicago, from 1971 to 1973. After this, he lived at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, Illinois, until his final illness.
Father Lehane suffered a stroke in February of 1995. Following a short period of suffering and debilitation, he died on March 11, 1995.
"Connie" is remembered for his interest in and concern for the other Augustinian friars. He was a sincere and sympathetic person who was willing to extend himself to the needs of his fellow Augustinians and their families. His enthusiasm and concern for others are the hallmark of his priestly ministry.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at St. Mary Parish, Lawrence.