Br. David L. Sharp, O.S.A. (1935 - 2007)
Br. David L. Sharp, O.S.A. entered eternal life on July 14, 2007, following a lengthy illness.
David Lee Sharp was born on May 21, 1935 in Detroit, Michigan to John B. and Cora Sharp. He was baptized on December 16, 1950 at St. Anne Catholic Church, Detroit. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on November 18, 1951 at the same church.
In 1952, David earned his high school diploma from St. Anne High School. He entered the Augustinian program of formation at St. Joseph Hall of St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, on September 22, 1954. He took the religious name Brother Louis, but later returned to David, his baptismal name. On September 22, 1957, he was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 23, 1958 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 23, 1961.
Brother Sharp was assigned in 1958 to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, Illinois, where he worked as a tailor, making Augustinian habits for the friars of the Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel. He studied Nursing at Cook County Hospital, Chicago, earning a Certificate in 1964.
After finishing his nursing studies, Brother Sharp volunteered in 1964 to work in the missions of northern Peru as part of the medical team. He ran the pharmacy and did home nursing. Brother Sharp also managed the bishop’s house in Chulucanas, Peru, where he transformed the bishop’s yard from a plain and unattractive space into a place of beauty, filled with flowers and other plants. He was ordained a permanent Deacon on May 21, 1972 in Chulucanas.
Brother Sharp returned to the United States in 1973. He resided at Austin Friary, Detroit, Michigan, and worked as a nurse at Bon Secours Hospital, Grosse Pointe, Michigan. He went back to Peru in 1974 and returned again to the United States in 1976. He resided at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, and served as a nurse at St. Joseph Hospital, Chicago.
In 1977, Brother Sharp relocated to Detroit. He was a nurse at St. John Hospital, Detroit, while residing at St. Augustine Parish there. He then returned to Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, and his work at St. Joseph Hospital, Chicago, in 1978.
After this, Brother Sharp was assigned in 1979 to St. Mary Parish, Rockford, Illinois, where he ministered as a Deacon to Hispanic members of the parish. He was then transferred to Cascia Hall Monastery, Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1980. He continued his nursing duties there and did additional nursing studies. In 1984, he moved to St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, where he served as nurse.
Brother Sharp was next assigned to St. Monica College, Rome, in 1985. He was Guest Master and College Nurse. During his time in Rome, he also served as a Secretary to the Vicar General of Vatican City and assisted with translations of documents. Returning to the United States in 1989, Brother Sharp served as Director of Nursing at St. Rita Monastery, Chicago. He then went back to Peru in 1996 and worked at Our Lady of Grace, the Augustinian Center House in Lima.
In 1998, Brother Sharp returned to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields. That same year, he was assigned briefly to Saint Augustine Monastery, San Gimignano, Italy, but he became seriously ill there. After he recovered, he returned to Tolentine Monastery in 1999. He joined the community of retired Augustinians at Our Lady of Grace Community at Marian Village in 2001. He remained there until the retired friars relocated to Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, in 2004.
Because of declining health, Brother Sharp was moved in 2005 to Holy Family Villa, Lemont, where he was receiving care at the time of his death. He is remembered as a quiet, kind, gentle and compassionate friar. He had a good artistic sense, evidenced by his work in the yards of several monasteries where he lived.
Brother Sharp is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.