Rev. Dominic J. Caniglia, O.S.A. (1922-1979)
Rev. Dominic J. Caniglia, O.S.A., entered eternal life on March 25, 1979.
Dominic Joseph Caniglia was born on December 12, 1922, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Ettore and Louise (Cinalli) Caniglia. He was baptized on March 11, 1923, at St. Rita Catholic Church, Philadelphia. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 3, 1931, at the same church.
After completing his elementary education in 1936 at St. Rita School, Philadelphia, Dominic studied for one year at Southeast Catholic High School, Philadelphia. He entered the Augustinian program of formation at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, where he received a high school diploma in 1940.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1940. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1941, and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1944. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1945. He pursued theological studies from 1945 to 1949 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. During his theological studies, he also did graduate studies at Villanova College. He was ordained a priest on June 7, 1949.
Father Caniglia was assigned in 1949 to St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois, where he taught until 1951. He was then transferred to St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, as a teacher. In 1962, he was assigned first to St. Augustine Parish, Detroit, Michigan, as Assistant Pastor, and later to St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, in the same capacity.
He returned to the educational apostolate in 1963. He taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1963 to 1965. From 1965 to 1968, he taught at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit. He also served as Procurator (Business Manager) of the Augustinian community there. He returned once again in 1968 to St. Rita High School, where he taught and served as Disciplinarian and Director of Student Activities until the time of his death.
He died suddenly of a heart attack on March 25, 1979, at St. Rita Monastery, Chicago.
Father Caniglia was a well-loved member of the community and was regarded with great affection by the students whom he taught.
He was originally buried in the Augustinian Cemetery, Villanova, Pennsylvania. When that cemetery was relocated to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, in 1980, Father Caniglia’s body was moved there.