Rev. Edward J. Merwarth, O.S.A. (1909-1951)
Rev. Edward J. Merwarth, O.S.A. entered eternal life on June 30, 1951.
Edward Joseph Merwarth was born on July 22, 1909 in Easton, Pennsylvania to Edward and Susan (Gallagher) Merwarth. He was baptized on July 25, 1909 at St. Bernard Catholic Church, Easton. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on November 6, 1917 at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Easton.
After receiving his elementary education at St. Joseph School and Holy Infancy School, both in Easton, Edward graduated from Bethlehem Catholic High School, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. He then did a year of post-graduate studies at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York.
On September 11, 1930, Edward was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 12, 1931 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 12, 1934. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College in 1935. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D. C. He was ordained a priest on June 7, 1938.
Father Merwarth was assigned as Assistant Pastor in 1939 to St. Augustine Catholic Church, Detroit, Michigan. When the Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was established in 1941, he became affiliated to that Province. He moved to St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, in 1942, where he served as teacher and Athletic Director.
In 1947, Father Merwarth was assigned to St. Monica Seminary, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, where he was Director of the Augustinian Seminary Guild. He returned to the educational apostolate in 1949 by teaching at St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois.
While in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, where his brother and five of his six sisters lived, Father Merwarth became ill. He was hospitalized at Sacred Heart Hospital, Bethlehem. He was later transferred to Misericordia Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he died on June 30, 1951 of heart disease.
Father Merwarth is buried in the Augustinian Cemetery at Villanova.