Rev. Edward S. Griffin, O.S.A. (1907-1982)
Rev. Edward S. Griffin, O.S.A. entered eternal life on January 2, 1982.
Edward Stephen Griffin was born on October 24, 1907 in Holyoke, Makssachusetts to Edward and Catherine (Courtney) Griffin. He was baptized on November 2, 1907 at Holy Rosary Catholic Church, Holyoke. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation in October of 1924 at the same church.
Edward received his education at East Dwight Street School, Holyoke, and at Holy Rosary Catholic Elementary and High Schools, Holyoke. He studied for two years at St. Anselm College, Manchester, New Hampshire, then transferred to Niagara University, Niagara Falls, New York, where he earned a B.A. in 1929. After working in the offices of Stroheim and Romann, a wholesaler of interior decorating fabrics in New York City, and as the manager of an A & P Food Store in Holyoke, Edward entered the Augustinian program of formation in 1935 at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1936. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1937 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 1, 1940. Edward pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1937 to 1941. He was ordained a priest on June 10, 1940.
When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was established in 1941, Father Griffin was affiliated to that Province. He was assigned in 1941 to St. Rita Parish, Chicago, Illinois, as Assistant Pastor. In 1959, he was transferred to St. Augustine Church, Detroit, Michigan, as Assistant Pastor.
Father Griffin taught at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, during the 1961-1962 school year. He served as Assistant Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Church, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, during 1962 and 1963. He then taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1963 to 1968. Father Griffin was a teacher and Procurator (Business Manager) from 1968 to 1972 at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago. In 1972, he returned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, where he was a part-time teacher.
He became ill while returning from a brief Christmas vacation and died on January 2, 1982 in Hartford, Connecticut.
Father Griffin was always a gentle, kind, gracious and compassionate priest. He had a wonderful sense of humor.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.