Rev. Francis A. Driscoll, O.S.A. (1889-1945)
Rev. Francis A. Driscoll, O.S.A. entered eternal life on February 6, 1945.
Francis Augustine Driscoll was born on April 15, 1889 in Staten Island, New York to Daniel and Emma (Biery) Driscoll. He was baptized on April 28, 1889 at St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church, West New Brighton, New York. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on December 10, 1901 at Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church, Tompkinsville, New York.
After graduating from Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, Francis was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on July 4, 1905. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on July 5, 1906 and solemn (permanent) vows on July 7, 1909.
A natural athlete from his high school days, Francis was no less proficient in studies, being awarded the gold medal for English literature by Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He earned a B.A. in 1908 and an M. A. in 1912, both from Villanova. He did theological studies at Villanova and was ordained a priest on June 1, 1912.
Father Driscoll's first assignment was in 1912 as an instructor in Mathematics at Villanova. He was named Vice-President of Villanova College in 1914 and he was appointed as Prefect of Studies in 1918. In 1920, he became President of Villanova College. In 1921, Duquesne University conferred on him an honorary LL. D. Degree.
During his presidency, several major building projects at Villanova were completed, Summer School was inaugurated, the curriculum was organized by departments, engineering courses were added, the School of Commerce and Finance was established, and the Alumni Association was reorganized by the creation of local clubs.
Perhaps because of his democratic approach to administration and his personal interest in the students and the athletic program, he was immensely popular on campus. Highly unusual for those days, he was known as "Father Frank".
In 1925, Father Driscoll was asked to help expand the Augustinian educational ministry further west. He was sent to Tulsa, Oklahoma to organize and construct what was to become Cascia Hall School. As he began that task, he was appointed in 1925 as Diocesan Superintendent of Schools for the Oklahoma City and Tulsa regions.
When Cascia Hall opened its doors in 1926, Father Driscoll was its first Headmaster. In contrast to the familiar "Father Frank", in Tulsa he was known as "Doctor Driscoll". He continued to serve at Cascia Hall until declining health made hospitalization necessary in 1944. He died on February 6, 1945.
Father Driscoll is buried in the Augustinian Cemetery at Villanova.