Rev. Francis P. Sullivan, O.S.A. (1930 - 1995)
Rev. Francis P. Sullivan, O.S.A. entered eternal life on November 4, 1995.
Francis Patrick Sullivan was born on January 27, 1930 in Chicago, Illinois to John and Bridie (Sheehan) Sullivan. He had three brothers and two sisters. He was baptized at St. Justin Martyr Catholic Church, Chicago.
In 1948, Frank graduated from St. Rita High School, Chicago. He then did post-graduate work in 1949 and 1950 at St. Monica Seminary, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1950. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1951 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 11, 1954.
After earning a B.A. in Philosophy in 1954 from Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, Frank pursued theological studies from 1954 to 1958 at Gregorian University, Rome. After this, he returned to the United States to study canon law at Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., in 1959 and 1960. He earned a J.C.B. in 1959 and a J.C.L. in 1960.
Father Sullivan's first assignment was as an instructor at Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois, in 1960. He was next assigned in 1961 to the Augustinian community at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri. He served as an instructor in moral theology and canon law to the seminarians who were temporarily living there. He returned to Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, and served from 1963 until 1968 as instructor of moral theology and canon law.
In 1968, Father Sullivan became Assistant Pastor of St. Rita Parish, Chicago. He was transferred in 1971 to St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, where he served as Assistant Pastor. Later in 1971, he was assigned to teach at St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan. He was also Prior (Superior) of the Augustinian community there.
In 1975, Father Sullivan was named Pastor of Holy Rosary Parish, Kenosha, Wisconsin. He later became Pastor of St. Gregory Parish, Cambridge, Ontario, in 1987. He then served as Pastor of St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, from 1988 to 1995.
Because of declining health, Father Sullivan resigned as Pastor of St. Matthew Parish in 1995 and moved to St. Rita Monastery, Chicago. After only 17 hours there, he slipped into a coma and was admitted to Olympia Fields Osteopathic Hospital, Olympia Fields, Illinois. He was later moved to Mercy Rehabilitation Center, Chicago Heights, Illinois, where he died on November 4, 1995. His death was the result of an inoperable brain tumor.
Frank enjoyed life and always attempted to cheer his fellow Augustinians with his little whimsical sayings, especially those in Latin. He was a very cheerful and heartwarming individual who brought Christ's message of love and concern to those whom he met.
Father Sullivan is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.