Rev. Henry A. "Harry" Wierman, O.S.A. (1903-1981)
Rev. Henry A. "Harry" Wierman, O.S.A. entered eternal life January 13, 1981.
Henry Aloysius Wierman ws born July 3, 1903 in McSherrystown, Pennsylvania to Thaddeus and Rose Ann (McMaster) Wierman. He was Baptized July 5, 1903 at St. Mary Catholic Church, McSherrystown. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation October 5, 1914 at the same church.
He did his high school studies at Villanova Prep Seminary, Villanova, Pennsylvania, which granted him a diploma in 1923. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate June 21, 1923. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine June 22, 1924 and solemn (permanent) vows June 22, 1927.
He earned a B. A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, in 1927. He pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. from 1927 to 1931. He was ordained a Priest June 10, 1930.
Father Wierman served in 1931 at Villanova College, Villanova, as a student Priest and Prefect. Later in 1931 he was assigned to St. Rita Catholic Parish, Chicago, as Assistant Pastor. In 1935 he was transferred to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a Teacher. While at St. Rita High School, he also served for four years (1941-1944) as Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community there.
In 1944 Father Wierman was sent to St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, where he was a Teacher and Prior of the Augustinian community. When St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan, opened in 1949, Father Wierman was assigned there. He served as Teacher, Sub-Prior and Procurator (Business Manager) until 1977. From 1977 until the time of his death, he lived in retirement at Holy Rosary Catholic Parish, Kenosha, Wisconsin. He died January 13, 1981.
Father Wierman was revered both for his candor and for his humility. He was well-known as a confessor. He gave patient counsel and direction to many of his brother Augustinians. In his down-to-earth way, he touched the young and the old, both within and outside the Augustinian community.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.