Rev. James D. Clark, O.S.A. (1911-1982)
Rev. James D. Clark, O.S.A., entered eternal life on January 4, 1982.
James Daniel Clark was born on August 14, 1911, in Atlantic City, New Jersey, to Francis S. and Regina (Twibill) Clark. He was baptized on August 26, 1911, at Star of the Sea Catholic Church, Atlantic City. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 6, 1922, in the Chapel of the Convent of the Sacred Heart, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
After beginning his high school education at St. Joseph Prep School, Philadelphia, James transferred to Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, which granted him a diploma in 1930. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 11, 1930. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 12, 1931, and solemn (permanent) vows on September 12, 1936.
He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1935. He pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1935 to 1939. He was ordained a priest on June 7, 1938.
Father Clark earned an M.A. in English from Catholic University of America, Washington, in 1941. He did additional studies at Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois, at the Instituto Peruano Norteamericano, Lima, Peru, and at Oxford University, Oxford, England.
Following the completion of his theological studies, Father Clark was assigned to teach at Colegio San Agustin, Iloilo, Philippines. He returned to the United States in 1940 and was assigned as a teacher at St. Rita High School, Chicago. During the 1944-45 school year, he resided at the rectory of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Chicago, while continuing to teach at St. Rita High School.
In 1945, he was transferred to St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, as Assistant Pastor. He was named Pastor of St. Mary Church, Rockford, Illinois, in 1959. In 1961 and 1962, he was part of the Augustinian Mission Band, headquartered at St. Joseph Mission House, Fort Wayne, Indiana. The Mission Band was a group of friars who specialized in preaching at Parish Missions and guiding spiritual retreats throughout the United States.
Father Clark was Prior (local superior) at Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois, in 1962 and 1963. In 1963, he was one of the first North American Augustinian missionaries sent to Peru when the Augustinians of the Midwest accepted responsibility for a large mission territory there. He established the Augustinian Center House in Lima, Peru, and was Pastor of Nuestra Señora del Consuelo Parish in that city.
He returned to the United States in 1968 and served as Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Chicago, until 1971. From 1971 to 1973, he lived in Oxford, England, where he studied at Oxford University. From 1973 until the time of his death, he was assigned to St. Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova. He assisted with fund raising for the Augustinian Historical Institute.
Father Clark died suddenly of a heart attack on January 4, 1982. He was a well-known preacher and touched thousands of lives through his sermons. He was a gentleman and a kindly pastor.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.