Rev. James G. Murphy, O.S.A. (1927-1978)
Rev. James G. Murphy, O.S.A. entered eternal life on November 21, 1978.
James Gerald Murphy was born on October 11, 1927 in Clinton, Iowa to Leo C. and Agnes H. (Brickley) Murphy. He was baptized on October 23, 1927 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Clinton.
After his family moved to Chicago, James received his elementary education at St. Rita Grade School from 1933 to 1942. He studied for three years at St. Rita High School, Chicago, and then entered the Augustinian program of formation at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, for his senior year. He graduated from Augustinian Academy in 1946.
James was received into the Augustinian Novitiate in September of 1946. He professed vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1947. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1951. He also received an M.S. in Library Science from Villanova. James pursued theological studies from 1951 to 1955 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest in 1954.
Father Murphy taught at St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, from 1955 to 1959. He was then assigned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1959 as a teacher. In 1961, he was transferred to teach at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago.
Moving in 1962 to Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri, Father Murphy served as a teacher, Librarian, and Procurator (business manager) until 1972. He then returned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, where he was a teacher, Chaplain and Sub-Prior (assistant superior) of the Augustinian community.
On November 21, 1978, Father Murphy died of complications from lupus, a disease which he had battled for several years. He is remembered as an understanding listener and a wise counselor.
Father Murphy is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.