Rev. John C. Timms, O.S.A. (1915-1983)
Rev. John C. Timms, O.S.A. entered eternal life on December 7, 1983.
John Christopher Timms was born on October 12, 1915 in Boston, Massachusetts to John and Elizabeth (Mulcahy) Timms. He was baptized on November 14, 1915 at the Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Boston. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 4, 1927 at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Boston.
After his graduation in 1933 from Cathedral High School, Boston, John studied for one year at Boston College. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1935. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1936 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1939.
John earned a B.A. from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1939. He then pursued theological studies from 1939 to 1943 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on May 28, 1942.
Father Timms was assigned to teach at St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois, in 1943. He received an M.A. in History in 1944 from Catholic University of America, Washington. He later taught at St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan, during the 1951-1952 school year. From 1952 to 1965, he served on the faculty of Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan. He then taught from 1965 to 1970 at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago.
In 1970, Father Timms was named Associate Pastor of St. Anthony Parish, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He was transferred in 1972 to St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, where he was Associate Pastor and Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community there. He was then assigned as Prior of St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, in 1979.
After a lengthy illness, Father Timms died on December 7, 1983 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Known for his great love for the Church, Father Timms' faith was the basis of his life. He was untiring in his defense of orthodoxy in the teachings of the Church.
Father Timms is buried in the Augustinian plot at St. Mary Cemetery, Lawrence, Massachusetts.