Rev. John F. Galloway, O.S.A. (1914-1970)
Rev. John F. Galloway, O.S.A. entered eternal life on Jaunary 15, 1970.
John Francis Galloway was born on July 7, 1914 in Dumbarton, Scotland to James and Mary (Burgess) Galloway. He was baptized on July 19, 1914 at St. Patrick Catholic Church, Dumbarton. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on February 1, 1925 at the same church.
John received his elementary education at St. Patrick School, Dumbarton; St. Francis de Sales School, Denver, Colorado; and St. Thomas Aquinas School, Bronx, New York. He attended St. Nicholas of Tolentine High School, Bronx, for three years, then transferred to Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, which granted him his high school diploma in 1932.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1932. John professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 11, 1933 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 11, 1936. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1937. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D. C. John was ordained a priest on June 10, 1940. He earned an M.A. in Education from Villanova College in 1955. He did additional studies at Catholic University of America, Washington, and at Chicago Technical College, Chicago, Illinois.
Father Galloway taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1941 to 1954. He was named Principal of Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan, in 1954. He became Principal of Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri, in 1965.
Forced by ill health to resign from his position at Augustinian Academy, Father Galloway was assigned to St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, for a short time before being assigned to St. Rita Parish, Chicago. It was at St. Rita that he died of a heart attack on January 15, 1970.
He was originally buried in the Augustinian plot at Villanova University. When that cemetery was relocated to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, in 1980, Father Galloway’s body was moved there.