Rev. John F. Lehane, O.S.A. (1908-1977)
Rev. John F. Lehane, O.S.A. entered eternal life on May 4, 1977.
John Francis Lehane was born on July 29, 1908 in Lawrence, Massachusetts to Jeremiah F. and Helena (Donovan) Lehane. He was baptized on August 5, 1908 at St. Patrick Catholic Church, Lawrence. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 11, 1922 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Lawrence.
John was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1928. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1929 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1932. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1933. John then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on June 9, 1936. He did additional studies at The Temple School, Washington, and at St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri.
Father Lehane's first assignment was in 1937 to St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, as a teacher. After this, he had assignments at St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, and St. Rita High School, Chicago.
Father Lehane was outside the Augustinian Order for several years, but returned to the Augustinian community in 1965. He was assigned to Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, from 1966 to 1968. He was back at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1968 to 1971. Fr. Lehane was then appointed Procurator (business manager) at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, in 1971.
He was visiting members of his family when he suffered a stroke, which caused his death on May 4, 1977.
Father Lehane is buried in the Augustinian Plot at St. Mary Cemetery, Lawrence.