Rev. John R. Mabarak, O.S.A. (1933-2005)
Rev. John R. Mabarak, O.S.A. entered eternal life on March 27, 2005.
John Richard Mabarak was born on December 29, 1933 in Detroit, Michigan to Beshara J. and Katherine (Thomas) Mabarak. He was baptized on April 8, 1934 at St. Maron Syro-Maronite Catholic Church, Detroit. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 27, 1945 at St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic Church, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan.
John attended Annunciation School, Detroit, for two years (1939-41), then completed his elementary education at St. Clare of Montefalco School, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan. He received his secondary education at De la Salle High School, which awarded him a diploma in 1951. He then studied for one year at the University of Detroit.
He entered the Augustinian program of formation in 1952 at St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan. John was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on February 2, 1953. He professed simple (temporary) vows on February 3, 1954 and solemn (permanent) vows on February 3, 1958.
He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1956. He then pursued theological studies from 1956 to 1960 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on June 8, 1960.
Father Mabarak taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1960 to 1962. He then taught at Cascia Hall, Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1962 and 1963. After this, he taught from 1963 to 1966 at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit.
In 1966, Father Mabarak was named Assistant Pastor of St. Rita Parish, Chicago. He was transferred in 1967 to St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, as Assistant Pastor. He returned to St. Rita Parish in 1968, again serving as Assistant Pastor.
After a short period of service in 1978 as Assistant Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, he was assigned to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, Illinois. Here he served as Chaplain of Bethlehem Center, LaGrange, Illinois, during 1978 and 1979.
Father Mabarak was Associate Pastor of St. Anastasia Parish, Waukegan, Illinois, from 1979 to 1981. He then served from 1982 and 1983 as Chaplain at St. James Hospital, Chicago Heights, Illinois. In 1983, he was named Associate Pastor of St. Jude Parish, Detroit. After this, he became Associate Pastor of Assumption Grotto Parish, Detroit, in 1984. He was then named Associate Pastor of Immaculate Conception Catholic Parish, Lapeer, Michigan, in 1990.
Father Mabarak returned to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery in 1995, where he was semi-retired. He battled cancer for several years until the time of his death on Easter Sunday, March 27, 2005.
He is remembered for his insatiable quest for information and knowledge. He had a great love for his home city of Detroit.
Father Mabarak is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.