Rev. Joseph A. Smith, O.S.A. (1906 - 1974)
Rev. Joseph A. Smith, O.S.A. entered eternal life on December 31, 1974.
Joseph Augustine Smith was born on December 21, 1906 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Martin and Julia (Horahan) Smith. He was baptized on January 6, 1907 at the Catholic Church of the Visitation, Philadelphia. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on April 15, 1914 in the same church.
After attending minor seminary, Joseph was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on June 25, 1924. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 26, 1925 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 26, 1928. At Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, Joseph earned a B.A. in Philosophy and an M.A. in French. He did his theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on June 9, 1931.
Father Smith was assigned in 1932 to teach at Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma. When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was established in 1941, he became affiliated to that Province and was appointed Prior (local superior) of Cascia Hall Monastery.
From 1944 to 1947, Father Smith was Assistant Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Church, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, and Prior of the Augustinian community there. He then taught from 1947 to 1952 at St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois. When Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan, opened its doors in 1952, he was transferred there as a member of the first faculty. He also served as the first Prior there.
In 1959, Father Smith returned to St. Thomas High School, Rockford, where he was a teacher and the community Prior. He was again assigned to St. Clare of Montefalco Parish in 1962, where he was Assistant Pastor and Prior. From 1968 to 1971, he was Prior at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit. He retired in 1971 and continued to reside in the friary at Austin.
While visiting his family in Rochester, New York, Father Smith suffered a heart attack. He died there on December 31, 1974.
Father Smith is remembered as a man of peace. He was a quiet man who was at peace with himself and with others. He was a peacemaker who gave support and encouragement to all, particularly to his fellow Augustinian friars.
Father Smith was originally buried in the Augustinian plot at Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania. When that cemetery was relocated to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, in 1980, his body was moved there.Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.