Rev. LaVern J. Flach, O.S.A. (1928 - 2008)
Rev. LaVern J. Flach, O.S.A. entered eternal life on November 17, 2008 after a long period of declining health.
LaVern James Flach was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan on March 2, 1928 to Clarence William and Anne Barbara Flach. He was baptized on March 11, 1928 at Saint Edward Church, Mendon, Michigan. His family lived on a farm near Scotts, Michigan.
LaVern’s early education took place in a one-room school in Pavilion Township, Michigan. He graduated from Saint Augustine High School, Kalamazoo, in 1946. He then studied at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, for one year (1946-47).
LaVern entered the Augustinian program of formation in September of 1947, doing a year of post-graduate studies in Latin. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1948. He professed simple vows on September 10, 1949 and solemn vows on September 10, 1952.
Following profession of vows, LaVern completed his college education at Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, earning a B.A. in Philosophy in 1952. He then did theological studies from 1952 to 1956 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. LaVern was ordained a priest on June 4, 1955.
While studying theology, he also pursued graduate studies at Villanova University, earning an M.A. in Mathematics in 1956. DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois, awarded him the degree of Specialist in Education in 1963.
Father Flach’s first assignment was in 1956 to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a teacher and Vice-Principal. He was transferred to Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, in 1968. He served as teacher and Vice-Principal there as well. He was Advisor to the yearbook staffs for many years at Mendel and St. Rita. His work in this area was nationally recognized for its excellence.
In 1971, he was named Principal of St. Rita High School. He held this post until 1979, when he resumed teaching duties at St. Rita. In 1994, Father Flach was named Associate Pastor of St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan.
He returned to educational work in 1995, teaching for one year at Providence Catholic High School, New Lenox, Illinois. In 1996, he began his retirement at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, Illinois. He moved to the new retirement community of Our Lady of Grace at Marian Village, Homer Glen, Illinois, in 2001.
Declining health necessitated Father Flach's move to Mother Theresa Home, Lemont, Illinois, in 2003. He was afflicted with loss of eyesight and hearing. Complications resulting from diabetes made the amputation of one leg necessary. In 2008, he relocated to St. James Manor, Crete, Illinois.
Father Flach is remembered as a down-to-earth person. He was a demanding teacher who would spend as much extra time as was needed to help students learn math.
Over many years, as a hobby, he researched and compiled a thorough genealogy of his family.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.