Rev. Luke M. Powers, O.S.A. (1887 - 1970)
Rev. Luke M. Powers, O.S.A. entered eternal life on June 16, 1970.
Luke Michael Powers was born on October 12, 1887 in Northampton, Massachusetts to Luke and Briget (Burke) Powers. He was baptized on October 15, 1887 in St. Mary Catholic Church, Northampton.
On July 4, 1905, Luke was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on July 5, 1906 and solemn (permanent) vows on July 6, 1909. Luke earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1909. He then pursued theological studies in Rome, Italy. He was ordained a priest on July 25, 1912.
From 1913 to 1917, Father Powers was Assistant Pastor of St. Rita Parish, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After this, he taught at Villanova College, his Alma Mater, from 1918 to 1920. He also served as Sub-Prior (assistant local superior) of the Augustinian community there. From 1920 to 1926, he was assigned to parish ministry in Detroit, Michigan.
In 1926, Father Powers became Assistant Pastor of St. Mary Parish, Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he also served as Sub-Prior of the Augustinian Community. He was then transferred in 1929 to St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, and he remained there as Pastor for the next 37 years. He also served several terms as Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community in Flint.
Because of ill health, Father Powers retired in 1966. He died on June 16, 1970 of congestive heart failure and a pulmonary embolism.
When a new centralized Catholic high school, replacing seven smaller Catholic schools, was opened in Flint in the Autumn of 1970, it was named The Luke M. Powers Catholic Education Center in recognition of his long ministry to the people of Flint.
Father Powers was originally buried at St. Mary's Hall Cemetery, Villanova. When that cemetery was relocated in 1980 to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, his body was moved there.