Brother Martin C. Shaw, O.S.A. (1937 - 1999)
Brother Martin C. Shaw, O.S.A. entered eternal life on March 8, 1999.
Martin C. Shaw was born on November 15, 1937 in Chicago, Illinois to Dominic and Bernice (Murphy) Shaw. He was baptized at St. Columbanus Catholic Church, Chicago. He was given the name Leo at Baptism.
Leo received his elementary education at St. Columbanus Catholic School, Chicago, and graduated in 1952. He earned a high school diploma in 1956 from Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago. He later entered the Augustinian formation program, taking the religious name Martin. On March 10, 1968, he was received into St. Monica Novitiate, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on March 7, 1969 and solemn (permanent) vows on March 19, 1972.
The first assignment Brother Shaw received was to St. Rita Monastery, Chicago, where he did maintenance and worked in the Data Processing Department of St. Rita High School. In 1974, he was assigned to Cascia Hall Preparatory School, Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he served as Dormitory Moderator. He was then transferred to Austin Friary, Olympia Fields, Illinois, in 1985. While there, he assisted with maintenance work at Bishop McNamara High School, Kankakee, Illinois.
During 1991, Brother Shaw was first transferred to St. Rita Parish, Chicago. Later that same year, he was transferred to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, where he served as Sub-Prior (Assistant Superior) of the Augustinian Community and Assistant Director of the Augustinian Guild.
In 1999, Brother Shaw was being treated for cancer. He suffered a stroke early in that year. When his health worsened, he entered St. James Hospice, Chicago Heights, Illinois, on March 2. He died there on March 8, 1999.
Brother Shaw will be remembered for his cheerful disposition, his caring concern for his fellow Augustinians, and his enthusiasm and dedication to the various ministries to which he was assigned. His willingness to serve wherever needed was a hallmark of his character. He assisted in taking care of the monastery garden. Often throughout the summer, he would bring a rose from the garden into each of the offices for the staff at Tolentine Center to enjoy.
Brother Shaw is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.