Rev. Patrick E. Murphy, O.S.A. (1948 - 2008)
Rev. Patrick E. Murphy, O.S.A. entered eternal life on May 14, 2008.
Patrick Edward Murphy was born on March 18, 1948 in Chicago, Illinois to Thomas and Geraldine Murphy. He was baptized on March 28, 1948 at St. Agnes Church, Chicago. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on April 28, 1959 at the same church.
In 1962, Patrick graduated from St. Agnes Elementary School, Chicago, and enrolled in St. Rita High School, Chicago. He earned his high school diploma there in 1966. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 3, 1966. Patrick professed simple (temporary) vows on September 4, 1967 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 15, 1974. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois, in 1971. He did his theological studies at Catholic Theological Union, Chicago, earning an M. Div. in 1976. He was ordained a priest on March 20, 1976.
Father Murphy did graduate studies in Industrial Relations and in Education at Loyola University, Chicago, which awarded him two advanced degrees: an M.S. in Industrial Relations and an M.A. in Education.
During the 1971-72 school year, Father Murphy taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago. He then resided at St. John Stone Friary, Chicago, while pursuing theological studies. He began his diaconate internship at St. Cletus Parish, LaGrange, Illinois, in June of 1975, continuing until his priestly ordination.
In 1976, Father Murphy's first assignment as an ordained priest was to Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, as a teacher and Chaplain. He returned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1979 and served as teacher and Chaplain there as well. In 1983, he was appointed Principal of St. Rita High School.
Father Murphy was named Vocations Director for the Augustinian Midwest Province in 1989 and lived at St. John of Sahagun Friary at Providence Catholic High School, New Lenox, Illinois. In 1990, he was transferred to St. Rita Parish, Chicago, where he served as Interim Pastor.
After this, Father Murphy returned to educational ministry in 1991 when he was assigned to Cascia Hall Preparatory School, Tulsa, Oklahoma. He was Chaplain of the school and Prior of the Augustinian community. In 1994, he was transferred to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields.
Father Murphy requested and was granted permission to live outside of community in 1996. During this time, he resided in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He returned to community in 1999 and was assigned to St. Mary Parish, Gainesville, Texas. In 2000, he was again granted permission to live outside of community and again resided in Tulsa, Oklahoma. During this time, he ministered on weekends at St. Paul Parish, Electra, Texas, and at Christ the King Parish, Iowa Park, Texas.
In August of 2004, Father Murphy was assigned to reside in the Augustinian Community at St. Mary Parish, Gainesville. His primary ministry was as teacher and administrator at Sacred Heart High School, Muenster, Texas, and he remained here until June of 2006. He was named Pastor of St. Mary Parish, Gainesville, in August of 2006 and was serving in that capacity at the time of his death.
Father Murphy is remembered for his sense of humor. No matter what the occasion, he could be counted on to come up with a funny remark that would cause people to laugh. He was appreciated by the students whom he taught. He actively promoted religious and priestly vocations.
At his request, Father Murphy's body was cremated. His cremated remains are buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, Tulsa.