Rev. Patrick H. Kehoe, O.S.A. (1887-1958)
Rev. Patrick H. Kehoe, O.S.A. entered eternal life on August 30, 1958.
Patrick Henry Kehoe was born on August 20, 1887 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to John J. and Bridget (Kane) Kehoe. He was baptized on August 28, 1887 at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Philadelphia. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on June 12, 1898 at the same church.
Patrick received his elementary education at St. Agatha School, Philadelphia. He graduated from Roman Catholic High School, Philadelphia, in 1905. Following his graduation, he did a year of post-graduate studies at Roman Catholic High School.
He entered the Augustinian program of formation on September 10, 1906 at St. Rita Hall, Villanova, Pennsylvania. Patrick was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on February 2, 1907. He professed vows in the Order of St. Augustine on February 2, 1908.
He studied from 1908 to 1914 at St. Monica International College, Rome, Italy. He was ordained a priest on July 25, 1913.
Father Kehoe returned to the United States in 1914. He was appointed that year as Rector of the Augustinian minor seminary program at St. Rita Hall, Villanova. He was Director of Novices and Professed at Villanova from 1918 to 1922. He earned an S.T.L. Degree in 1920.
Father Kehoe was assigned in 1922 to teach Theology at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He continued in this work until 1936. In addition to teaching, he served in a number of roles for varying times: Director of Professed in Washington, Regent of Studies for the Augustinian Seminarians, Secretary of the Province, and Assistant Provincial. He earned an M.S.T. Degree in 1930.
He was transferred in 1936 to St. Rita Parish, Chicago, Illinois, where he was Pastor and Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community. In 1937, he was named Vicar Provincial for the Midwest Augustinians. When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was established in 1941, Father Kehoe served as Commissary Provincial (acting Regional Superior) until a Provincial was elected at the first Province Chapter in June of 1941.
Father Kehoe continued as Pastor of St. Rita Parish, Chicago, until the time of his death. During his pastorate, a much larger church building was constructed around the original church, which had become too small for the large congregation. During the construction, the older building continued to be used for daily and Sunday worship until the new church was almost complete. The original building was then dismantled.
For many years, Father Kehoe suffered from a painful blood disease. Worn out by this disease, he died on August 30, 1958 in Chicago.
Father Kehoe is remembered as a teacher of great ability who demanded accomplishments from his students. He was a serious man who understood human nature and realized what potential existed in others.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.