Rev. William A. Pérez, O.S.A. (1935-2017)
February 11 is the anniversary of the death of William A. Pérez, O.S.A.
Guillermo Armando de Corazón de Jesús Pérez Amieva was born May 4, 1935 in Mexico City, Mexico to Antonio Pérez Gómez and María Trinidad Amieva de Pérez. He was Baptized May 10, 1935 at the Parish of San Gabriel, Mexico City. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation in December, 1937 in the parish church of Córdoba, Mexico.
Guillermo received his elementary education at Cervantes School in Mexico. He earned a high school diploma from Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1952. In the United States he began to be called William, the English equivalent of Guillermo. He attended Tulsa University, Tulsa, from 1952 to 1955.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate September 9, 1955. He professed temporary vows in the Order of St. Augustine September 10, 1956 and solemn (permanent) vows September 10, 1959.
A following profession of vows, he continued his collegiate studies at Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, where he earned a B. A. in Philosophy in 1958. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a Priest June 9, 1962.
Father Pérez was assigned briefly in 1962 to Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri. He was a Teacher and Vice-Principal at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan, from 1962 to 1966. He held similar positions at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, Illinois, in 1966 and 1967.
He was assigned in 1967 to Cascia Hall, Tulsa, where he was a teacher and tennis coach. He taught at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, from 1968 to 1972. In 1972 he returned to Cascia Hall, Tulsa, as a teacher.
In 1988 Father Pérez was transferred to the Augustinian Center House community at Abbott, Texas. He served as Pastor of nearby Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, Morgan, Texas, and Holy Angels parish, Clifton, Texas, until 1992.
Father Pérez returned in 1992 to Cascia Hall, Tulsa, as a teacher and coach. He also served as Facilities Manager, Grounds Supervisor, Alumni Chaplain and Director of Tennis.
In 2014 he retired from his work with the school. Even after retirement, he kept in touch with many Cascia Hall alumni.
Father Pérez is remembered as a feisty, energetic, passionate and committed teacher and coach. He loved being a Priest. Through his ministries, he touched the lives of countless students and families. He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, Tulsa.
Memorial gifts to the Augustinians, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via Secure On-line Giving http://www.midwestaugustinians.org/donate appreciated. Memorials support the care of elderly and infirm friars, the seminary formation of young friars and the Augustinian Missions in Peru.