Rev. Philip L. Colgan, O.S.A. (1886-1967)
Rev. Philip L. Colgan, O.S.A., entered eternal life on July 29, 1967.
Philip Leo Colgan was born on April 10, 1886, in Conewago, Pennsylvania, to Francis and Elizabeth (Dougherty) Colgan. He was baptized on April 12, 1886, at Conewago Catholic Chapel, Conewago.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on June 25, 1910. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 25, 1911, and solemn (permanent) vows on June 25, 1914. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1914. He then pursued theological studies at Villanova. He was ordained a priest on May 27, 1916.
Father Colgan's first assignment following ordination was in 1917 to Good Counsel Catholic Parish, Staten Island, New York. In 1918, he was named head of the preparatory school at Villanova College. He was transferred in 1920 to St. Mary Catholic Parish, Lawrence, Massachusetts.
He became Headmaster of Malvern Preparatory School, Malvern, Pennsylvania, in 1926. He also served as Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community at Malvern. He was appointed Procurator (Business Manager) of Villanova College in 1928.
In 1934, Father Colgan was named Pastor and Prior at Good Counsel Parish, Los Angeles, California. In 1938, he became Pastor and Prior at St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, where he served until shortly before his death. He died of a cerebral hemorrhage on July 29, 1967.
Father Colgan was originally buried in the Augustinian plot at Villanova, Pennsylvania. When that cemetery was relocated to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, in 1980, Father Colgan’s body was moved there.