Rev. William (Wilbur) F. Labadie, O.S.A. (1923-1977)
Rev. William F. Labadie, O.S.A. entered eternal life on October 27, 1977.
William Francis Labadie was born on January 4, 1923 in Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan to Stephen N. and Marie E. (Messing) Labadie. He was baptized Wilbur Francis Labadie on January 21, 1923 at St. Ambrose Catholic Church, Grosse Pointe Park. He later changed his name from Wilbur to William. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 31, 1930 at St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic Church, Grosse Pointe Park.
He received his elementary education at St. Clare of Montefalco Parochial School, Grosse Pointe Park. In 1940, he received his high school diploma from Grosse Pointe High School, Grosse Pointe, Michigan.
He entered the Augustinian program of formation at Augustinian Academy in 1940, where he did one year of post-graduate studies. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1941 and professed vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1942.
In 1946, he earned a B.A. from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He pursued theological studies from 1946 to 1950 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on June 7, 1949. Father Labadie earned an M.A. in Modern Languages from Villanova College in 1950. He did additional studies in Spanish, French, Education and Psychology at Villanova College; Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.; and DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois.
Father Labadie taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1950 to 1956. He then taught at Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma, from 1956 to 1959. He served as Headmaster there from 1968 to 1970. Father Labadie taught at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, from 1959 to 1968 and again from 1970 to 1977. He also was Athletic Director at Mendel for a short time.
In the Fall of 1977, Father Labadie was named Associate Pastor of St. Anthony Parish, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He died there shortly after his arrival.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.